Canon PIXMA MP630

jivsmith 16:08 21 Oct 09

I want to print mainly in black and white, but the printer always defaults to colour and I have to change it manually each time I print.
Is it possible to make the default black and white please?
Joan.

Spark6 20:12 21 Oct 09

I have recently purchased an MP630, still getting to grips with it, so am unable to give you a definitive answer.
However, in the on-screen guide > Basic Guide > Appendix > Tips on how to use your machine, the following:
Does black-and-white printing use colour ink?
Colour ink is consumed even when printing in black and white.

Doubtful if we are unable to avoid this!

jivsmith 14:39 22 Oct 09

I'm so sorry, I obviously did not make my problem clear. I know that, even when printing in black and white, the printer will use the colour cartridges as well.
But my printer defaults to printing in colour and I have to change it every time I want to print in black and white - which is most of the time.
My last printer always retained the black and white setting unless I changed it and I was hoping I could make the Canon do this too.
i can't find anything in the manual that deals with changing defaults and I am hoping that someone, with more knowledge than I have, can point me in the right direction.
Joan.

Spark6 15:57 22 Oct 09

I have e-mailed this query to Canon customer support, 'an analyst will contact me within 2-3 working days', we'll wait and see.

jivsmith 16:52 22 Oct 09

Thank you so much.
I await the reply with great interest.
Joan.

Newuser939 17:58 22 Oct 09

Go to Control Panel - Printers - right click on the MP630 and select "Properties". Within that there should be an option on the "Advanced" tab to set defaults including black and white printing.

Taff™ 18:05 22 Oct 09

Is this forum quicker than Canon Customer Support?

jivsmith 21:54 22 Oct 09

Thank you so much "Newuser939" - problem solved!

To "Taff" - definitely!
PC Advisor has been an absolute blessing to me. There is always someone ready to give valuable help.
joan.

Spark6 11:09 23 Oct 09

Response to my query this morning:

Thank you for contacting Canon.

I am sorry to hear that you are having difficulty with your canon product.

With reference to your enquiry, in order to set grayscale as default, you need to carry out the following:

1.Goto printer and faxes folder in control panel
2.Right click printer icon
3.Select printing preferences
4. Select Main Tab
5.Tick grayscale box
6.Select Apply

Settings are now changed for every job. If this is what you are doing and the problem persists, try reinstalling the driver to make sure there has not been a corrupt installation.

I hope this information is of use to you. If you have any other queries, or need any other information, please do not hesitate to reply directly to this email, and quoting the reference number:- 544369

Kind Regards,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now