Canon Pixma MP 640 Paper Feed Problem

Harper Boy 15:25 PM 07 Aug 11
Answered

I have had this multifunction device for a while and am pretty pleased with it, apart from the heavy consumption of coloured inks even when printing only in greyscale (I believe this is a widespread issue with Canon printers). However, I now have a problem with paper feed from the rear tray. I am sure there is a mechanical problem, for which I don't blame Canon, because I accidentally dropped a biro in there without noticing! I fished it out when the machine reported a paper jam, but the rear feed hasn't worked properly since. It has always made a bit of a clatter while taking time to decide to start; now it claims there is no paper at all, even though there is. Just occasionally, it starts to feed a sheet over a single central roller, but soon stops with the paper on the skew. Cassette feed remains OK. My problem is that I have no idea how the rear feed is supposed to look when it is working properly, so I don't fancy dismantling something I don't understand. What I would really welcome is an illustration, or at least a really precise description, of what to look for when the back is off. Any advice welcome

northumbria61 15:34 PM 07 Aug 11

I don't have this printer but from what you describe it appears you may have damaged the paper feed mechanism (the biro)

I don't know if there is anything here that will help you - have a look and I will also begin a search for "images" for you link text

northumbria61 15:53 PM 07 Aug 11

Plenty to go through here link text

Harper Boy 17:36 PM 07 Aug 11

Thanks, Northumbria61. Yes, a lot of advice there, but sadly not enough to help me do surgery on the beast! I would like to get my hands on a service manual, but can find only ones for the MP610 or 630 - I don't know if either is mechanically similar

northumbria61 22:25 PM 07 Aug 11

There's a Service manual here for download but I don't know if it will link textcontain anything to solve your problem.

northumbria61 22:28 PM 07 Aug 11

You can also download a manual from Canon.co.uk (Support) link text

northumbria61 22:31 PM 07 Aug 11

"but can find only ones for the MP610 or 630" In the above link you can select the MP640 from the drop down list

Harper Boy 09:16 AM 08 Aug 11
Answer

Thanks - good as far as it goes, but these are just User manuals, whereas for the detail I need I should be consulting a Service Manual.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites