Canon Pixma ip4500 inks advice

iscanut 10:26 24 Dec 08

This printer uses 3 colour carts and 2 black. The PGBK black cart gets used as well as all the colours, but I note that the other black (BK) does not show any use. Can anyone explain what this other black cart is for ?

chub_tor 10:34 24 Dec 08

As I understand it one black cartridge (usually the bigger one of the two) is used exclisively for text printing, the other black is used combined with the cyan, magenta and yellow to produce the range of tones and hues for colour printing.

iscanut 11:23 24 Dec 08

Thanks, that makes sense. Should have realised.

palinka 15:36 24 Dec 08

Hi Nuts; not sure that chub_tor is completely correct. I use a Canon iP4300 (and other Canons before that)and one of the reasons for buying Canon is that there is an option to use JUST black for printing black - otherwise black is created from mix of colours.
I'm certainly NOT convinced that one cartridge is used for printing text (at least, not in any Canon that I've had), but which of the black cartridges (large or small) is used when it's set to print black from black only I'm not certain about!That despite the fact that most of my printing is black text.
To set your printer to print black from black ink only, go to file>print>preferences and then tick "grayscale printing".

iscanut 16:50 24 Dec 08

Thanks, will try that and see what transpires.

brambles 16:54 24 Dec 08

I had the exact same question as you Nuts and I was fortunate to see the Canon rep in PC World on Saturday. The Black PGBK is used in Photo printing the smaller one is for text. Brambles

Clapton is God 18:20 24 Dec 08

"The Black PGBK is used in Photo printing the smaller one is for text"

I disagree. I think you'll find it's the other way round.

I have an iP4300 and have just replaced my large black cartridge again. The small cartridge is still almost full.

I have NEVER done any photo printing, only text.

preditation 11:39 02 Aug 10

Stinkyink now offer ink cartridges for the [url=click here]Canon Pixma IP4500 ink[/url]. Oh and it's free delivery!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5