canon pixma IP4300 paper jam

morters 17:18 29 Jan 10

Have had no problems at all with this printer until now when, for first time, I tried duplex printing (ie both sides of paper). It printed a few sheets and then jammed.

Have been through the manual which suggests opening top and pulling out the jammed paper - impossible with only about 10mm showing to pull on.

Phone calls to Canon and local computer repair shops suggest, as expected, it will cost more to fix than buy a new one. On so many grounds I resent chucking out a printer just because it has a piece of paper stuck!!!!

Does anyone have any ideas before I cosign it to the dump?

Sea Urchin 23:07 29 Jan 10

How little things have changed in 2 years.

click here

This was one solution mentioned on another thread using a sheet of plastic

click here

I managed a couple of weeks ago to remove some paper from a Canon printer (different model) with a pair of tweezers (with the power off) and there was no more than 2 or 3mm showing. It was painstaking work, but patience paid off and it now works perfectly again. I did have to remove the ink cartridges for easier access. The trick is not to pull too hard and tear the paper.

morters 06:26 30 Jan 10

Thanks for the links and suggestions, Sea Urchin. How very true! Not sure I can understand the plastic sheet trick let alone try it.

Shall give it another go as per your experience (have already tried with needle pliers) but so far can detect no movement whatsoever. Thanks, anyway.

morters 10:11 30 Jan 10

Bingo!

Your final paragraph made me resolve to give it one more final go. Since the paper was almost solid black with smeared ink, I only realised this morning that there were two pieces of paper protruding - in other words, the sheet of paper had folded in half on itself.

Somehow I managed to pull the paper out a few more millimetres, though in process tore the sheet in several places. Thought enough was showing for the machine to eject on its own. Switched it on but to my huge dismay, the paper completely disappeared back into the machine. By switching the machine on and off (anything between 50 and 100 times - I wasn't counting!) and watching the roller rotate a couple of millimetres each time, eventually the paper reappeared, this time with enough for me to get a decent grip on it. Despite several heart-stopping moments when bits of the paper tore off, I eventually managed to pull it all out.

Despite having had to get quite 'physical' (I felt I had nothing to lose) with the machine, I am delightedd to report that all seems to be well and the printer is working as well as before, though I will never try duplex printing again.

Thanks again, Sea Urchin

Sea Urchin 12:12 30 Jan 10

Great - a happy ending - and you've been saved a trip to the recycling plant :@)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced