Canon Pixma iP1500 - where is the waste ink tank?

Newuser1280 19:30 10 May 10

My printer dialogue box is telling me I need to call a Canon engineer because the waste ink tank is nearly full - as if! I've emptied and cleaned one of these before on an Epson printer, but can't work out how to access it on the Pixma iP1500. Can anyone tell me how I get into the works without damaging the casing? The casing seems to 'click' on, but I can't work out how.

Ray

BRYNIT 19:57 10 May 10

This may help click here

john bunyan 22:20 10 May 10

I had a similar problem with a MP760 - 3 years old. Canon repair quoted £120 ! Spoke to a local repair man who confirmed it was a nightmare to get the thing back together. In fact it is a cheap felt pad! I found a link here and on the web to override the warning but in the end ink fell out of the base of the machine and nearly ruined a desk! In the end threw it away! How old is yours? I wish they wiuld design an external waste ink bottle that a user could empty.

Newuser1280 22:47 10 May 10

It's just 4 years old - ridiculous to build something designed to last only a few years (which is what they have done - replacing a couple of felt pads shouldn't require an engineer). An obscene waste of the planet's (limited) resources. BRYNIT's link is useful though, so I'll be trying it tomorrow. Watch this space!

john bunyan 18:38 11 May 10

Good luck - wear rubber gloves!! Do let us know how you get on.

Newuser1280 11:34 12 May 10

Success! All re-assembled and working OK. Part 2 of the video suggests a small download to over-ride a persistent warning message about a full waste tank, but as it seems to be working OK without it I didn't use it. May have to later if the error message keeps coming up.

Thanks BRYNIT for helping me strike a blow against profligate waste!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced