Canon MG5550 paper loading problem

tonyq 16:47 09 Feb 15
Answered

Hi all, my son bought a Canon MG5550 all in one printer a couple of months ago, and is having problems loading paper. I think it has been a problem since he first bought it but not sure. The problem is that when you load say 20/30 sheets of paper making sure that the paper is pushed in to the back and the guides up to the sides, a message comes up please load paper correctly or words to the effect, and this needs to be done 3/4 times before it will start printing which is a bind. We could take it back to the supplier, just want to make sure that we have not missed anything simple that will rectify the problem.

Ian 54321 10:39 18 Feb 15

Unfortunately my Canon MG5550 (bought late last year) is doing exactly the same thing. Despite loading the paper as stated in the instruction manual, it still keeps producing "please load paper" errors. I don't really know what to do about this but am tempted to return the machine within its guarantee period. The trouble is that I might end up with a new machine doing the same thing if it is a design fault. Sorry I can't be more specific or helpful.

Ian 54321 15:42 24 Feb 15

Update: tried everything, including cleaning the roller and the tray, and updating the firmware, still the same problem. After spending nearly half an hour trying to print a 6 x 4 inch glossy photo, I took the printer back to the shop. The man in the shop recommended the following:

1. Push the paper tray inwards gently, no need to be vigorous.
  2. Once the tray has clicked into position, push the paper as far back as it will go so that you can feel that it is in direct contact with the back roller of the printer. This is easy with A4 paper, but not so easy with 6 x 4 photo paper.

While I agree with the man in the shop that there is nothing with the printer, I still find the horizontal paper loading on the Canon MG5550 to be unreliable. If the paper is not in contact with the roller it will not be pulled into the machine, and even on some occasions when it was in contact with the back roller it still produced a "1003 - please load paper" error message. My other Canon printer is gravity fed by a vertical tray at the rear and it never does this.

tonyq 08:29 25 Feb 15

Ian 54321, thank you for the Info,you should not have to keep doing all that to load paper. I too reinstalled software ect and the paper seemed to be loading o.k that was about 2 weeks ago. It so happens that I sow my son yesterday and asked if the printer was now ok "No not really" was the reply. He said that it may be loading better but not correct, if the paper did load some times it was dragging 2 sheets at once. So I would say it still not working correctly. We are going to take the printer back (PC World) at the first opportunity. Thanks again.

tonyq 08:40 25 Feb 15

Ian 54321

Forgot to say that I have a Canon 7250 printer which as similar paper loading tray which I can fully remove to load the paper, and have had no trouble what so ever.

Ian 54321 07:56 28 Feb 15

Things are definitely better since I followed the suggestions given by the man in the shop. However, it is a pity that the paper is not always in contact with the rear roller after closing the tray, and some types of paper still load unreliably. The Canon MG5550 is an excellent scanner and printer for the price, but it doesn't have the most reliable paper loading compared to the two other printers that I have owned in the past few years.

tonyq 10:14 16 Mar 15

Update.

have taken the printer back to PC World who have sent it for repair,and said it would be returned in about 2 weeks time,(here's hoping). For some reason I don't feel to optimistic of them curing the problem!

tonyq 16:33 07 Apr 15
Answer

Final update(I hope) My son got the printer back from repair,they replaced the pick up rollers!. It now seems to be working O.K.

DavidCamm 17:29 22 Jul 15

Hi Folks, this is an asy fix, get a sponge, I used the sponge off a dish scourer, you only need half of that, cut it off the scourer part.

Now find the paper feeder roller that takes the paper from the tray. (its under the printer behind a panel that has the paper in. You will notice the feeder roller attached to a plastic panel that moves up and down to grip the paper, this roller has a small spring on the side. I noticed there is hardly any force pressing the roller to the paper, hence the problem.

Put the sponge behind the piece of plastic away from the rollers taking care not to put it behind the actual rollers. This increases pressure on the roller so it takes the paper every time. just done 150 double sided sheets with no problems. Make sure the plastic holding the roller still moves up and down freely, the sponge should not be so tight as it prevents free movement.My MG550 had this issue from new as well but this spong has fixed it. Its very simple to do.

deegeeaoe 21:02 29 Jul 15

Hi David,

Could you possibly post or email me a picture of your sponge setup as I have the same problem but can't quite figure out where to put it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…