Canon i850 printing problems

Dave911 19:44 14 May 04

I am having great problems with my canon i850, I have had it about 6 months now but the prints are quite often missing a particular colour. On checking that particular cartridge I have found that the ink is not getting through particularly well from the resevoir to ink tank (with the spongy bit in!!). I was wondering has anyone else experienced problems with canon ink cartridges, I am finding now that I nearly always have to do a nozzle check before hand and then a deep clean and sometimes even encourage the ink from the resvoir into the tank manualy by squeezing the cartridge

I use mine mainly for printing photos and I do tend to print right up to the edge of the paper, can this effect it.

I have been using cannon genuine cartridges (2 I have thrown away as they would not print at all) and use Jessops glossy 260gsm paper. I am now stocked up with tescos ink cartidgese as they are a lot cheaper although as yet have not used them.

Anyone else experiencign similar problems and is there a solution, paper and ink are expensive and the air in my office goes blue when the thing cocks up.

Djohn 20:01 14 May 04

I have the i850 and find it's a superb printer, the only thing I find a little annoying is the fact it seems to do a quick clean of the heads every time I use it. (Previous printer was HP and never heard it do a clean in all the time I had it}

Not sure what may be causing your problem but Canon are very good people to deal with, give them a ring and they will most likely replace by courier and pick your present printer up at the same time.

Wilham 20:14 14 May 04

Dave911, I had similar experience with my canon850i, and after the same period of use click here.

It was less than 6 months so I contacted Dabs under the one year warranty. They agreed to pick up the printer, then changed arrangements and told me to ring Canon UK. The answer I had from the number they gave said that Canon site only repaired printers sold directly by them, not from Dabs.

Tedious emails exchanged with Dabs led to me getting a new head from Canon. All is well so far but I'm apprehensive what happens if fault recurs after the end of my 12 months warranty.

The latest Canon inkjets don't share the same plug-in head. I think it's worth buying a spare now for the canon850i, -if I knew from where?

Dave911 21:18 14 May 04

I ahve taken the head out and given it a clean and it does appear to print OK, have either of you tried this and then found it has gone back to the original problem.

I have just discovered that I have had the printer 11 months, I will have to get moving on this!!

wee eddie 21:18 14 May 04

Read your Guarantee that came with the Printer. There should be a Contact Number in it.

It's a bureaucratic thing.

Just follow the Yellow Brick Road to the letter. and a new print head should arrive on your doorstep.

Djohn 21:22 14 May 04

No, never bothered to take the head out as it works fine apart from the clean cycle before nearly every print job.

Not sure if this is a problem or normal for i850. I printed a couple of colour posters this morning then went to do the same in the afternoon but it still did a short clean cycle!

zanwalk 21:58 14 May 04

In my experience (3 Canon printers to date) they do a print head clean on a fairly regular, though apparently random, basis. I have not yet got the i850 though.

wee eddie 22:05 14 May 04

No problems so far

woodchip 22:15 14 May 04

I would suggest you get a cleaning cart for the printer before ink does not go though at all

woodchip 22:17 14 May 04

have you ever replaced the print head as these should be replaced after so many refills

Djohn 23:19 14 May 04

Not tried that woody but canon say the head should last for the life of the printer, whatever that means!

The quality is superb, fantastic photo's and the text looks as though it has come from a laser printer, just the frequency of the "short" head cleans prior to printing.

I've not done a manual clean yet and there are two options for that. Normal and deep clean, may do one of those tomorrow see if it helps but I doubt it as like I say above the quality is spot on.

It may be a feature of the printer to ensure good clean prints every time. The room is kept very warm as well so I don't think that will help. I'll give Canon a phone call on Mon. morning and see what they say. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…