canon BJC 80 parallel to usb sony laptop U/S

kingussie 21:34 29 Mar 04

I have a Canon BJC printer connected to sony laptop through a parallel to usb connection.
The pc recognises the canon and asks if I want to print a test page which I do but nothing happens except i get error on the print queue.
The canon is the default printer but still will not print. any ideas. I am using win xp and there is a comment about xp not recognising older printers but it accepted it without problems

Giggle n' Bits 23:44 29 Mar 04

I think your better investing in a new printer.
All I would check is the Cable and that theres ink in the carts.

Also is there any yellow exclamation mark in the hardware/device manager in xp against your ports.

How is the Parallal to USB ports done, what adapater ?

woodchip 23:55 29 Mar 04

Is it a D-Link hub with 3 USB one parallel and one serial port's

kingussie 08:51 30 Mar 04

I bought the adapter from Maplins. Parallel on one end Usb on t,other. Useful if you come across an old type printer. I have an HP deskjet850C (Ark Model !) but it connected with no problems.....Not the Canon though. Were you in the airforce with name Kinloss.I used to live Elgin

Gemma 15:18 30 Mar 04

Just from memory: The BJC 80 needs a bidrectional connection, maybe your convertor thingy is not.
I think the printer has an infrared port. If the cable is a no-go then you could try a USB infrared dongle (mine from eBuyer for £12).

kingussie 21:02 30 Mar 04

It ois a bidirectional thingy and still doesnt work
The USB dongle is a great idea though. Thanks for that

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5