//some 3rd party need geo

Cannot Write to 24 speed CD

prince midas 15:39 10 Jan 04

Have been using a Teac high Speed 24 without problems.

CD disks I use are Verbaten.

These will copy at up to 12 times no problem.

I also use Packard bell 10 times RW.
No problems with these.

Then I got some Verbaten & also another make both on package 24 times.

My problems then started.

The 24 Verbaten although tried at all speeds up to 24 would only copy at 2 times even though status said 8 times.

On checking the Teac speed on the test rig it said the machine was capable of writing up to 12 times.

Them i used the other unknown make 24 which my son also uses on a plextor with no problem.

It stopped dead at 24.

When I set it to 4 times 8 times 12 times it came up with the message illegal disk.
Finally when it did decide to write at 4 times it took 80 minutes to do a 50 minute data disk and then I had to forcibly eject it as it would not let me shut nero down.As expected the disk was blank and the machine had been stuck at 7% for most of the time with the message lead in.

Comments please apart from the obvious that I buy slower speed disks as before.

R4 16:27 10 Jan 04

You may find that the X24 is only available on CDR not CDRW.

prince midas 16:44 10 Jan 04

You have probably missed my point.

I wish to know why my machine can only write to CDR disks that are not rated above 12 times.

This is using various speed settings on my Teac.

Also I notice most of the Internet Disk suppiers only sell 24 or over which are too fast for my writer.

Obviously I can find some older disks now in the shops.
But this does not explain why I cannot write to a 24 speed disk.

DieSse 16:59 10 Jan 04

Depends on whether you are talking about CD-R or CD-RW blanks - and what the speed of writing is for your Writer for the two different types of CD. Can you tell us more please

DieSse 17:01 10 Jan 04

Can you please also say whether your writer has Burn-proof technology or equivalent.

Stuartli 17:23 10 Jan 04

The top write speed of a CD-R doesn't matter even if you are using a drive that can only burn at much lower speeds - it's the reverse that could cause the problems i.e. trying to write at 48x to a 16x disk for instance.

Even so I've accidentally burned a Kodak Ultra Gold 12x CD-R at 24x (maximum write speed of my rewriter) and it's been perfect...

Might be time for a visit to Teac's website click here and look through the FAQs and/or whether a firmware update is necessary.

However updating firmware should be a last resort - get it wrong and it's likely the rewriter won't write at any speed at all....:-)

Stuartli 17:25 10 Jan 04

The support page includes a link to media compatability with Teac's drives.

Teac is a highly renowned Japanese manufacturer, better known in the hi-fi world to most, and I'm sure you will get excellent support backup.

prince midas 17:48 10 Jan 04

I repeat the main points again.
My Teac as got all the latest firmware.
It will write to a CDRW at 10 times which is fine.

Although it is classed as a 24 times writer it will only write according to Nero test of 12 times.

When I use disks marked up to 24 times on the package it either refuses to write or when set manually to say 8 times it comes up with an error of illegal disk.

it will only write to older disks marked up to 8 times on the package CDR.Why.

Obviously the disks marked up to 24 times are not compatible.Note we are talking about Verbaten up to 8 times. Fine.
Verbaten up to 24 times. No Good.Also have tried other package disks marked up to 24 so there must be a difference.

prince midas 17:50 10 Jan 04

Yes it is burn proof with 2 mb buffer.

hugh-265156 18:02 10 Jan 04

some burners do not like all brands of cdr,my burner refuses to write to imation discs but likes packard bell discs.

try a different brand.pc world sell packard bell x32 cdr discs 2.99 for 25 spindle.

prince midas 18:08 10 Jan 04

i am afraid of buying any disk now with speed of 24 or above shown.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…