Cannot view webpages using Internet Explorer 7

climb45 14:45 26 Apr 08

When using IE7 a "page cannot be displayed" error comes up. Firefox works without a problem so I know the internet connection is fine. Have tried deleting all temp/history/cookie files and resetting IE7. Have uninstalled IE7 via Add/Remove Programs and then reinstalled from Microsoft download. After the reinstall the bookmarks were still there, so don't know whether any corrupt files were left behind after the uninstall and that this is what's causing the continued problem. I've checked firewall settings / Trend security settings and cannot find any obvious reason why IE7 should be causing a problem. Hve tried system restores, which have worked briefly, but then the same problem reoccurs. I've created another user account but IE7 didn't work here either, so it can't be anything to do with corrupt user settings. Virgin, the ISP, is at a loss as to the cause. Does anyone have any suggestions?

birdface 14:53 26 Apr 08

Try right clicking Local area connection and press repair see if it comes up with a dns problem. If so go to run, and type in ipconfig /flushdns a small space between ipconfig and forward slash.

Ditch999 18:13 26 Apr 08

Tools > Internet Option > Connections
You have not said how you connect. If its a router then Never dial a connection should be selected. Click LAN settings and put a tick in Automatically detect settings. Close IE and reopen.
Have you tried actually typing an address into the bar at the top like www. google . co .uk

climb45 14:44 27 Apr 08

Have checked everything as suggested by buteman & Ditch999, but unfortunately no success. Connection is via a router. The computer is running Windows XP SP2.

birdface 14:51 27 Apr 08

Have you tried with your Add-ons switched off.Or try tools internet Options .Advanced.And press restore advanced settings.Not into routers so cannot help you there.Have you tried with your Firewall switched off.

Poitier 15:15 27 Apr 08

You might find this info which I found elsewhere usefull.Type into the IE7 address bar,goie7.notlong.com(on its own ,nothing else)and surf to that address.That will download a microsoft uninstall tool.Install it and it will remove IE7 and replace it with IE6.Restart the computer and if you want to reinstall IE7 start IE6 and type into the address bar getmeie7.notlong.com(again on its own,(with no www or http).Thatwill give you a fresh install of IE7.

climb45 17:02 27 Apr 08

Have tried restore, but no good. bar.goie7.notlong.com comes up with an 404 not found error, but did find uninstall information on
click here
Have uninstalled IE7, but kept with IE6 this time rather than reinstalling IE7. This works so it must be a problem with IE7.

Many thanks for all your help.

Poitier 10:47 28 Apr 08

In my post bar was the last of address bar,using getmeie7.notlong.com could still get you a working IE7.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac