cannot view pictures in explorer

storm 19:38 04 Feb 03

when I now try to view my jpeg pictures as thumbnails in windows explorer, all I get is blank panes with a "paint" logo in them.
I used to get all the pictures appear in the windows.
what has changed?

recap 19:44 04 Feb 03

Sounds like a file association problem storm. Make sure you have the correct program to open the pictures.

vulcanian 19:50 04 Feb 03

Try this.
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 176882
click here;EN-US;176882

storm 21:22 04 Feb 03

There is no associations,
have tried the tread but just get a microsoft help page but no help.
I am running win2k
any body else who can help
have tried ALL the treads in PC Advisor under "thumbnails"!
Help!!!!!!!!!!

temp003 05:04 05 Feb 03

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer. Clck Tools on the menu and select Folder Options. View tab. Scroll down the list of boxes to check whether the box for "Remember each folder's view settings" is ticked. If not, tick it and click OK.

Open the folder for which you want to enable thumbnails view. If thumbnails are not already shown, click View on the menu, and select thumbnails. The change applies only to that folder.

Your jpegs are currently associated with Microsoft Paint. If you're happy with that, that's fine. If you want some other application to open them by default, in Explorer, click Tools, Folder Options, File Types tab. Scroll down the list of registered file types to jpg and so on, highlight it. In the "Opens with" section below, click Change, and select another application (e.g. Internet Explorer). Click OK. The change will apply to all files on your computer with that file extension.

storm 08:16 05 Feb 03

tried your idea but still will not work.
when I now open windows explorer I get the large preview window in my pictures, blank icons in the main window, when I click on individual icons the image is shown in the large preview window, but I want to see all the icon pictures so I can select the right one.

vulcanian 08:58 05 Feb 03

Go to Microsoft Support page.
click here
On the top left hand side you see Search(KB).
Type in "Microsoft knowledge base article 176882"
You should then see a list of "possible" solutions.

temp003 09:29 05 Feb 03

For vulcanian's MS article, click here

See also click here for the manual registry fix, which also mentions at the end that the problem might be fixed by repairing IE.

Someone else had the same problem, which was corrected by the same fix click here except that he downloaded a .reg file which did it for him, from click here

Filch 14:31 05 Feb 03

Had the same problem some time back. Tried every thing. Finally got it fixed by repairing Internet Explorer. Don't know how that did it or what IE had to do with it, but it worked.

storm 16:21 05 Feb 03

Thanks Temp003 the "reg" download fixed the problem.
Thanks to everybody who helped

Remember don't let the "Bugs" get you down!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…