Cannot view DVD content through Windows Explorer

gabber82 19:13 01 Sep 07

I've just installed a DVD writer which is working fine. However, the other (original DVD drive) does not allow me to view the files on any disc via windows explorer. Any disc i put in the drive is detected, any with autoplay start up as normal. I can still watch DVDs with the drive.

It's all wired up correctly and i have set master/slave. Any idea of what's going on?

holme 20:37 01 Sep 07

I'm not sure if I'm on the right lines with this, but I suspect the /original/ DVD drive may be set to play a disc automatically. Does that make sense?

If so, suggest you try the following:

a) Right-click over the /original/ DVD drive icon in My computer and select Properties.
b) Select the AutoPlay tab and select either <Take no action> or (if you want the contents folder to open automatically) select the <Open folder to view files> option.
c) Click on Apply and OK.

Then if you put a disc in the drive, either nothing will happen or the contents directory will open automatically (your choice). HTH.

woodchip 20:47 01 Sep 07

Are you clicking on the correct drive???

gabber82 01:17 02 Sep 07

the DVD writer is a second drive (F:). the original DVD drive is not a writer (E:) which has been working 100% for at least a year until now.

they are connected with one IDE cable to the mobo, E: is the master, F: is the slave.

when i boot up both drives are recognised, i can use both drives to play music, watch DVDs etc and autoplay works on E: which i have no problems with and proves Windows or the PC recognises it.

right now i have an audio cd in drive E:, when i open windows explorer and all drives are displayed in the list on the left (C:, D:, E:, F:), i can see Audio CD (E:). however, when i click to view the particular files on the CD which should be displayed on the right side of the window, it somehow bypasses this and auto selects my D: drive which is a hard disk. no errors are displayed like 'please insert disk' it's like E: is locked some way.

i've tried right clicking on E: and choosing explore and it just opens a new window for my desktop.

the new DVD writer drive (F:) works fine, i can view files on that no problem .

i'm not sure if this matters but E: is region 1 DVD and F: is region 2 (in terms of DVD playback, just thought i'd mention)

I've tried checking the properties of both drives and windows claims both drives are working properly.

i hope all this makes sense, it's sending me round the bend

gabber82 01:22 02 Sep 07

i should also mention that when i open any program (Power DVD, Media Player etc) and try to display files on a disc in E:, i just can't. i click on E: and the drop down selection menu closes, or just refuses regardless of the amount of times i double click

try uninstalling the drive in device manager and reboot

rdave13 01:33 02 Sep 07

Make the dvd rewriter master and dvd rom as slave.
F as master E as slave and reboot.

gabber82 15:46 02 Sep 07

not sure what's happened but it seems the problem has fixed itself. switched pc on this morning and i can now view all individual files on any disc in drive E:

not tinkered with anything, changed any settings at all. very odd

anyway, thanks to all those who have posted suggestions of help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…