Cannot validate my copy of Windows XP

freaky 15:48 28 Oct 06

A few days ago I had to replace the HD.

Today Microsoft requested me to validate my copy of Windows.

I did this and Windows stated my copy was not genuine !

I searched the HD and found the Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool which contained my XP Serial Number.

I have gone to Accessories > System Tools > but there is no sign of Activate Windows.

Would be grateful for assistance.

VoG II 15:50 28 Oct 06

Start, Run, enter

C:\WINDOWS\system32\%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A

and click OK.

VoG II 15:52 28 Oct 06

Sorry:

C:\WINDows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /A

freaky 16:14 28 Oct 06

Did as suggested in your 2nd post, but Windows states "refers to a location not available".

Are the 'o' letters or numerals, I put them as letters.

rsinbad 16:24 28 Oct 06

click here info should under software licenses.

rsinbad 16:25 28 Oct 06

sorry you need to download first

birdface 16:28 28 Oct 06

On the side of your computer there should be a sticker there with a microsoft OEM on it with product key Number.The number you got from your computer should match this,If you have not had the computer from new, It is possible that you have a pirate copy, But sometime microsoft make a mistake. So if the two numbers match, get back on to them,OOps Sorry never thought,If the computer is second hand, It would be registerd to the first owner, And you may have problems there,

Eric10 16:31 28 Oct 06

Drag over the command provided in the second post by VoG™ to highlight it then press Ctrl+C to copy it. Go to Start, Run and press Ctrl+V to paste it in. I think you may have missed the space between .exe and /A.

Fingees 16:53 28 Oct 06

If you contact microsoft on their freephone number, and tell them your problem they will probably understand, and issue you with a number over the phone to activate it.

I had to do this when I formatted a drive together with something else.

They were very helpful.

freaky 18:18 28 Oct 06

Great stuff, used ctrl+v as suggested and it validated - big sigh of relief. Many thanks to all.

Strange thing is that I installed the replacement HD on Wednesday, then used Acronis to Clone a month old copy of the old HD on to it. Once that was done then Windows Auto Updated.

I would have thought that Windows would only update if I had genuine copy of XP. Also, why has Windows taken until today before requesting validation ?

freaky 09:53 31 Oct 06

Will now mark this topic as resolved as no further replies have been posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…