Cannot unset read only folder attribute

stockj 21:44 25 Oct 05

In windows xp home edition I cannot remove the read only attribute for folders. I uncheck the tick box, it appears to change the attribute but when I look at the properties again the attribute has gone back to read only. This does of course prevent me from deleting unwanted folders which is a pain when doing a bit of housekeeping.

octal 21:53 25 Oct 05

I don't use XP show I'm going to show my ignorance here, do you have to be signed in as administrator to change those settings?

stockj 13:19 26 Oct 05

BeLa.
It is a green square, which you say means the attributes have not been set. The quesion now is where does one set the attributes.
Cheers

WhenHeavenTouchesEarth 13:35 26 Oct 05

I've been through something similar recently, but unfortunately, the suggestions kindly presented in this thread (click here) were of no use, and I had to format the drive in the end. :(

They may work for you though.

splork 13:40 26 Oct 05

have you tried doing the same from the command prompt using attrib? Is your system set up to view Hidden files? Such files inside a folder may still have their read-only bit set.

stockj 17:43 26 Oct 05

The "Unlocker" program seems to work fine.
Thanks to all respondents

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…