Cannot Unintall prgrams

Antz 13:41 11 Mar 03

I am having a problem removing unwanted programs from my P.C. This occured several months ago but is now creating problems because I need to reclaim some disc space.When I try to remove a program using the add/remove utility in control panel I get all sorts of error messages.For example, ' Wise Uninstall could open install.log file cannot remove program', another is 'File 'C:/ Program Files\ Program name\uninstall000.dat' does not exist. Cannot Uninstall' ( where program name refers to the particular program ). Another is 'an installation support file could not be installed.The system cannot find the file specified'. I would be very grateful for any suggestions on this as it a really serious problem for me, I am afraid to try out new programs for fear that I will not be able to remove them. I am running XP Pro on a PIII system with256MB Ram.Incidentally, this does not appear to occur on programs that come with their own uninstaller.

AndySD 14:04 11 Mar 03

Put your windows CD into the CD ROM and hold the shift key (the one with arrow pointing up, just above the Ctrl key on the left of your keyboard). Holding shift for a few seconds will stop the Windows CD from auto running, but the drive will still spin up to read the disk then spin back down again. Once it has spun down you can release the shift key.

Now click Start/All Programs/Accessories and choose Command Prompt. Type in

sfc /scannow

and hit enter. This will check and replace any damaged system files.

Now try to uninstall.

vinnyT 14:14 11 Mar 03

It sounds like one of the files that the uninstall routine is either not available or not in the expected location. The best way (usually) to get around this prob. is to reinstall the prog. (making sure you install in exactly the same location as the first install) then immediately uninstall. Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…