Cannot uninstall programme

mikegm7 12:39 15 Dec 05

Just been to add/remove programms. Tried to remove Paint shop pro only to be told 'windows installer service cannot be accessed. When I went to the windows update page and clicked on the various tabs for updates, nothing is loading there either. Whats suddenly gone wrong?? Running win XP Thanks.

uisquebeathus 13:00 15 Dec 05

download for repairing windows installer:-
click here;en-us;292539
or try this out

1. Run msiexec.exe from the command prompt to verify the version, if there is no dialog box but instead an error in the NTVDM, then continue with these instructions.
2. Download InstMsiW.exe from this web site:
click here
3. Extract InstMsiW.exe using WinZip or a similar tool.
4. Check and write down the versions (via the properties of file) of the following files in the ?WINNTSYSTEM32 directory:
msi.dll
msiexec.exe
msihnd.dll
5. For step 4, msiexec.exe should not have reported a version but instead appeared as a 16-bit program (dos).
6. From the extracted contents of InstMsiW.exe copy msiexec.exe over the old copy (backup the original msiexec.exe first).
7. Run the following command:
msiexec /unregister
8. Run the following command:
msiexec /regserver

mikegm7 13:10 15 Dec 05

It all seems pretty involved, but I will give it a go. Earlier today I ran 'Registry Mechanic' could that have removed something it shouldn't have?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…