Cannot switch off

Derek J 20:51 13 Aug 05

I have a Pentium 3 1Ghz running XP SP2.
I have just installed a Belkin High speed USB2/ Firewire PCI card in order to connect Broadband and also to connect my DV camera.
Since installed on shutdown everything appears to shutdown but the power stays on. I have to hold the power button for a complete shutdown.
If I remove the card everyhing is ok.
I have downloaded the latest driver from Belkin to no avail.

TommyRed 21:06 13 Aug 05

Don't know if this will help, it's not a solution to what is causing your problem. When I had trouble shutting down 98SE, which is a common problem, I installed and used a program called 'quick shutdown' which is an icon which sits in your system tray, when you want to shut down just double click the icon. I liked it so much I installed it on my XP which doesn't suffer any shutdown problems, it's just much easier and quicker click here HTH TR

Derek J 13:16 15 Aug 05

Thanks Ive tried Quick Shutdown as you suggested butI get the same result. Windows shuts down but the power stays on. The fans keeps on running and the power light stays on.

petescully 16:57 15 Aug 05

What happens when you disconnect all your devices from your USB2 card? Does it shut down then?

Are your windows updates up-to-date?

Its possible it could be related to power management... USB2 card not switching off?? Don't know - let us know what the outcome of the above questions are.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…