cannot start windows or get into bios

sidmo 13:21 10 Jul 09

trying to mend a machine running windows XP home,I have had it running after increasing the ram to 1.5 gb but now when I switch it on I get a screen saying press TAB to show post screen, D to enter set up, Esc to enter boot menu. None of them will work. I get a POST beep. The onboard graphics seem a bit dodgy, if this is failing would it cause this problem? The motherboard is a Foxconn P4M800P7MB-RS2H

accordion 13:30 10 Jul 09

If this only happened after you fitted new memory, take it back out again. Perhaps the memory is either faulty or incompatible with your motherboard.

Dave

OTT_Buzzard 13:47 10 Jul 09

Faulty memory is certainly a possibility. Onboard graphics is less likely as you'd probably not get the onscreen messages if they'd gone wrong.

It's worth removing the CMOS battery for a couple of minutes (unplug from the mains first and earth yourself on a metal part of the case) then refit it.

Is your keyboard PS2 or USB? Also, can you make sure that your it is working porperly and is being detected?

sidmo 14:35 10 Jul 09

Looks like it's the memory, took the new one out and just put back the old one and it's working OK now. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…