cannot start windows 98

DAKAR 23:10 15 Oct 04

can somebody please HELP
I have a 4year old AMD K6 450 running windows 98 I recently bought a new system and decided I would use the old one for games etc and began removing unwanted programmes to create hard disc space but I think I have removed some files as the system wont boot up using the emergency boot disc or in safe mode there appears to be no response from the cd or floppy drive after initial start pages I eventually get an error message .dll file MSVCRT.DLL was not found
thanks DAKAR

Completealias 00:17 16 Oct 04

Sorry DAKAR do you mean the system won't boot from floppy disk?

Completealias 00:28 16 Oct 04

Hi DAKAR have just had a look on microsoft website and here click here explains how to replace your missing or coruppted dll file, but you will need to be able to boot from floppy.

Have you checked your BIOS to see if its set to boot from A: drive first?

end 00:52 16 Oct 04

how far will it go when you try and power-up?

will it let you get into the SFC , and have you got a lap top with the same OS on it?

just an idea that might work ..but...

Completealias 12:46 18 Oct 04

Hi DAkAR you need to go into your BIOS settings if your system seems 2 bypass checking the floppy on boot up as its not set to check the floppy drive first.

On most systems this involves pressing either del or F2 when you first power up the system depends which BIOS you've got try one then the other. You may notice a message that says "press ... for setup" press that key.

You then need to set the system to boot from your floppy disk first. Where this is will depend on what BIOS you've got. But you'll want to set it to boot from a: drive first.

Once you done this you should be able to boot from the floppy.

Then if you follow the instructions from the link I put in my previous post you should be able to replace your missing dll file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…