cannot start / instal programs under windows 2000

boston101 11:25 09 Apr 05

moved from W98SE to windows 2000 on my home desktop. Since then there are a number (not all) of programs that will no longer instal.

When i run setup i get error box -

c:\winnt\system32\autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and microsoft windows applications. Choose close to terminate the application.

These CD box for these programs say they run under w2000. Theses programs also run on my laptop Windows XPpro.
Kids mightyu upset, any ideas or help?

pk470 11:48 09 Apr 05

Did you do a clean install? you can't upgrade from
W98 to W2000 like you can with WXP you will also have to download Media Player and the MSCONFIG file as W2000 doesn't have these files thats if you require them.

Todo a clean install use FDISK and delete the prime DOS partition select first boot cd rom put your W2000 into drive and reboot W2000 will then format the drive to NTFS.

boston101 12:53 09 Apr 05

Thanks for Advice
I spent last hour looking around WWW.
It appears to be fairly common problem looking at number of references, including specific (rather lengthy) fix at MSoft.com.

In fact what i did was copy
from c:\winnt\repair\autoexec.nt
to
c:\winnt\system32
and programs (games) are now starting to instal OK.
Brownie points coming my way.

Thx for help

pk470 17:00 09 Apr 05

I myself run W2000 on my older computer i must say i prefer it to WXP but it's slower to boot
up than WXP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…