//some 3rd party need geo

Cannot Shut Down

Flaco 11:45 13 Apr 04

Yesterday I added NTBackup functionality into XP Home after a recent OS reinstall. One of the programmes I tried restoring is giving me problems (WMP 9.0 plug-in, Sonic Cineplayer). The prog cannot complete installation without an activation code (which I no longer have).

As best as I can make out, the prog is constantly in the background trying to complete the install. Since then, I have been unable to shut down (or restart). Similarly, Sys Restore cannot get to the reboot stage either. The only way I can power down is if I turn the juice off. I have got in touch with Sonic support but they seem fairly clueless (e.g. trying to ask me to phone a 3rd party in the States on a free phone number) so I don't hold out much hope in that direction.

Anybody got any ideas on how to scrap the install process? Pls note, although the prog is listed in Add/Remove, trying to uninstall it from there is fruitless as it tells me that the prog has not completed it's full install yet.

Thanks in advance.

Sethhaniel 11:55 13 Apr 04

trying to finish the install
try run - msconfic and click startup tab - if its there untick it

Flaco 13:28 13 Apr 04

It was indeed in the start-up list. I unticked it and reset, but the prob has not gone away. It is still ticking away in the background. Good thinking, though, cheers.

poogles_uk 14:04 13 Apr 04

The power button is always useful......

Flaco 01:03 14 Apr 04

So is a Swiss Army knife, but it doesn't really help! :(

Sethhaniel 08:13 14 Apr 04

search for 'Sonic Cineplayer' and delete all reference

anon1 09:06 14 Apr 04

you will probably find it in the registry
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
If there is anything in that key delete it

Flaco 23:28 14 Apr 04

Thought I'd best give the supplier a bit more time to come up with the old activation code for the prog and credit to them, they supplied it today. Inputting that has obviously completed the installation and everything has returned back to normal.

I'm quite amazed at what an incomplete installation can do to a system. All sorts of things were starting to go seriously pear-shaped: progs hanging, Win updates not installing, anti virus and firewall throwing the towel in, etc.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…