cannot share files or printer on wireless network

gizzyx 22:05 11 Apr 06

hi, all.my dad's got a network set up with 4 desktop pc's wired to a linksys wag354g wireless router an has just bought a laptop connected wirelessly.the sharig between the wired pcs works fine but i connot get the laptop to share either files or a printer.they are all in the same workgroup. in "view workgroup computers" they are all visible to each other, ie the wired computers can "see" the laptop and vice versa. however, if for instance i click on "laptop" in view workgroup i get the following message:- "\\laptop is not accessible.you might not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
the network path was not found."
the same message applies if i try to access the desktops from the laptop. i have a similar setup myself (2 wired pcs and 1 wireless laptop, wag354g router) and had no trouble setting my own up at all. does anyone know what is wrong? all systems are running xp.have run network setup wizard in alcases et al. help!!!

bebbo 06:19 12 Apr 06

try disabling any firewalls you may have running just to see if its that ( turn back on tho)If it is the firewall you should go into options section and allow all pc's on yout lan to allow access.Worth a try.

ade.h 18:51 12 Apr 06

That is indeed a firewall issue.

I say issue, but really it is correct behaviour. Please be sure when configuring your firewall to make use of its advanced settings and only allow necessary communications. And don't use the Windows ICF, as it has well-known limitations with LAN access.

gizzyx 19:38 12 Apr 06

going to dad's later so will give it atry. will tick resolved if i sort it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…