cannot setup ntl email help

jagx400 20:41 20 Sep 04

Asking this for a friend.....He has just had NTL installed and before this he was on dial up with bt, I have just talked him through setting up his email on outlook express, but every time he clicks on outlook it comes up with Bt and says it cannot connect and does he want to work offline (obviously no modem anymore) I have talked him thru the set up twice now and all the relevant account details are correct and all BT stuff is removed from the outlook account.
He check the add and remove section and said there is nothing regarding BT iNternet in there to remove. Any ideas, to save me making a 60 mile round trip

Giggle n' Bits 20:46 20 Sep 04

and into the "Network Connections" where the Dial-up account resides "IF in XP or Dial-up for ME.
Any BT Accounts in there - Delete

When removing the Dial up account from Outlook Express did you ask him to click on the MAIL Tab and select Properites ?

If he lives in Manchester/Checshire/Derbysire I may be nearer to help. But only as a last resort.

britto 20:51 20 Sep 04

In Internet Explorer,Tools,Connections remove anything in dialup settings

oseven 21:02 20 Sep 04

I have NTL and have found them very helpful.Use their freephone number You usualy have to wait for quite a long time but it,s not too bad this time of night.
They are very patient with learners if this is what your friend is.

jagx400 21:20 20 Sep 04

Have tried all the suggestions and still it tries to connect via BT internet any more ideas, looks like a call to either BT or NTL

britto 21:37 20 Sep 04

Was he using Outlook or Outlook Express for the BT account?.

jagx400 21:39 20 Sep 04

outlook express

beeuuem 21:58 20 Sep 04

You don't mention if he using BB or dial up, the OS and if he has set up an account to dial ntl. Presumably he has no internet access.
In Control panel, Internet options > Connections is there any reference to an ntl account?

jagx400 22:13 20 Sep 04

originally dial up then changed to ntl bb windows xp, no ref to ntl but then neither have I in mine

cdb 22:24 20 Sep 04

Goto tools/ accounts/ pop.ntlworld.com/ properties/ connections/ tick always connect using this account and select the right account from the drop down menu.

If he then gets any password/fail to logon errors report back here ;)

beeuuem 22:30 20 Sep 04

This page should give all the information that you need
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…