Cannot set CD-RW to act as normal file system

effingpot 11:59 30 Sep 04

I just ditched an old W98 machine where i could stick a blank CD-RW into the RW drive and set it to act like a read/write file system. I used it to have my backup programme sync files to it.

I just bought a new Tiny PC with DVD/CD RW drive and when I stick a simlar blank CD-RW disk into the drive I get options to copy files to it but either via the XP interface or the included CyberLink Power2 Go programme I cannot find a way to format or use the disk like a diskette.

Any clues appreciated.

TBH1 13:45 30 Sep 04

think this facility will come with your CD writing software, Nero or adaptec or something - called direct Cd or INCD - - minds playing tricks on me but it can be done.You should still be able to read the discs you created on your w98 system

effingpot 14:36 30 Sep 04

Mmm- I'm using CyberLink Power2Go - came with the machine. It does not seem to support a direct write (drag and drop) mode onto CD-RW. Neither does XP it seems.

Am I missing something or do I need a differnt product?

thanks, mike

no-name 15:32 30 Sep 04

As TBH1 says, you need something like Nero InCD to make your drive act like a floppy drive.

effingpot 20:43 05 Oct 04

OK I've figured it out with your help and from Cyberlink Tech Support.

If anyone is interested the problem seems to be as follows:

The SW I now have (Cyblerlink Power2Go) doesn't let you format a CD-RW for drag n drop from Windows Explorer. So useless for me.

I got Nero from eBay for a couple of quid and used InCD. You just format the CD and off you go. Simple.

So if you buy a TINY PC beware - the software may not be much use.

Now to find out why it won't write DVDs either. I'm gonna try other SW first after this experience.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Xiaomi Mi5s review: The Xiaomi flagship that could replace your Samsung, LG, HTC or Apple phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Mental Canvas is a brand new drawing app that's quite unlike any other

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's super-expensive new…