Cannot see second hard drive

Peter Lanky 17:30 18 Nov 09

I have a K8VSEDX M/B and have installed a Western Digital WD3200AAJS 320gb SATA2 hard drive in the PC. Now I know there are compatibility issues with this M/B and SATA2 drives, so I've been Googling for a solution. However, people answering on forums keep referring to viewing the drive in BIOS (or not), but I can't see any reference to SATA drives in BIOS, so am I missing something obvious?

Quiller. 19:16 18 Nov 09

drive down to SATA1.

Your motherboard, as you have pointed out, just supplies SATA150 You have to restrict the drive, if you can.

Quiller. 19:22 18 Nov 09

you have to put a plastic jumper cap over pins 5 and 6. This limits the drive to 150MB/s, compatable with your motherboard.

woodchip 19:34 18 Nov 09

Best easy thing to do, Right Click My Computer\Manage\Disc Manager does the drive show there as unallocated space or drive?

Quiller. 19:40 18 Nov 09

It's a serial ATA 2 hard drive being run on a Serial ATA 1 motherboard. The rotational speed of the drive needs to be dropped so the motherboard can use the drive.

Peter Lanky 20:57 18 Nov 09

After lots of reading and checking the Western Digital website, I have already put a jumper over pins 5 and 6, but no success.

The drive doesn't show at all after: Right Click My Computer\Manage\Disc Manager

woodchip 22:14 18 Nov 09

Then it needs drivers loading for it, you should be able to get these from the WD site

Peter Lanky 22:51 18 Nov 09

There doesn't appear to be any drivers on the WD site for this drive.

Quiller. 09:22 19 Nov 09

The SATA drivers will be on your motherboard disk or you can download them from the motherboard manufacturers site. The drivers will not be on the hard drive site.

Peter Lanky 11:29 19 Nov 09

I am now entering an area I don't understand. Checking the ASUS site for downloads I am directed to a page which gives a list of downloads, none of which are described as Drivers. Most downloads are BIOS, but I am concerned about changing BIOS, as I am led to believe that meddling with this can lead to having no system at all.

I am also confused about BIOS. Belarc Advisor tells me I have BIOS v1003.03, but when I boot up, I am also told that I have American Megatrends BIOS v02.54, Amibios 08.00.09 and Fasttrack BIOS 378 1.00.0.37, so you can see how I am confused.

One other clue is that if I go into my current BIOS, and in the Advanced tab, select Onboard Devices Configuration, and change it from RAID to 'Onboard IDE Operate Mode' then next time I boot up, I can see both drives, but then I can't start windows, so no progress made there.

Can somebody explain all this to me?

Quiller. 11:57 19 Nov 09

Go to this page on the asus web site click here

download the marked driver click here and install it.

Do not do any bios updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5