cannot see other computers on my network?

appy33 16:49 25 Apr 08

I have four computers on my network. 1 running windows Vista Business. and 1 win xp pro. and the other two win xp home. all are set up and can access the internet most of the day. the problem is I cannot configure them so I can see them on my Vista computer, or any of the computers. what am I doing wrong? any help would be welcome.

BurrWalnut 19:28 25 Apr 08

1. Are they all in the same workgroup?

2. As you are sharing with an XP machine, you may need to install the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder on the XP machines click here

appy33 20:20 27 Apr 08

yes I have four computers running Vista Business, 1 xp pro and 2 xp home. I have downloaded the (LLTD) Responder from microsoft and installed it on to the xp pro.I can now see the xp pro icon under network and sharing. I cannot access the the xp pro pc. it comes up with I cannot access this pc you may not have permission to or something like that.

appy33 14:35 30 Apr 08

I have downloaded the LLTD Responders and installed them on the three windows xp computers? That is 1 win xp pro and 2 wind xp home. win vista business already installed. all computers are on the same workgroup. I can see the computers but cannot get access to the computer. says I do not have permission.

big_dog_smithy 20:34 11 May 08

Hi,

This is due to NTLM hash compatability (V1 to V2) and the fact that Vista has the compatibility mode to off by default.

Read here from google.

To allow NTLMv1 or LM challenge-response operations, first become a user
with Administrator rights. Next, run the program secpol.msc. Under Local
Policies then Security Options, there should be something that reads,
"Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level." By default, "Send
NTLMv2 response only" is selected. There are a few options available, but
choosing "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated" seems
to make the most sense. Everything should now magically start to work if
using non-NTLMv2 aware systems.

appy33 08:04 12 May 08

Thank you for your answer. Not tried your solution yet but will soon? I have resolved this question but to do so I uninstalled my Virus protection and bought windows live one call. To my suprise I can now see all computers and communicate with them? Being a suspicious person I am begining to think, have microsoft put something in their operating system to stop persons configuring their computers without first buying one call? This I can believe. Anyway I think this thread is ok now thank you again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac