Cannot run system restore Win Me

Grey 1 11:50 22 Jun 06

Every time I try to run restore I get the message
"System restore cannot run until you restart computer"
On doing this I still get the same message!!!!!!
Have turned s/r off at sytem properties box as per and on again several times to no avail.
Any help would be much appreciated.

rawprawn 12:20 22 Jun 06

Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (That is for XP and I think it's the same in ME)

rawprawn 12:27 22 Jun 06

Apparently scannow does not work in ME here is a quote from a pitstop forum

Windows ME does not have System File Checker. It has a System file verification incorporated into the startup routine, so that each time you boot up the computer Windows ME theoretically verifies the stability of the system files. I say theoretically because I have yet to see Windows ME actually produce a report indicating that it has ever performed anything of the kind.

sfc /scannow does not work with Windows ME.

As suggested previously, probably your best bet is to boot into safe mode and run a thorough scandisk with auto fix errors enabled. You can also defragment in safe mode. Tap the F8 key repeatedly at 1st boot. Choose Safe mode from the boot menu.

If none of that works you can either try System Restore (I have my doubts if Windows ME version of System Restore will work successfully but it's worth a try), or you can boot with the Windows ME boot disk, then at the A: prompt, you can try scanreg /fix or scanreg /restore and either repair a damaged registry of restore a clean registry from before this problem began.

Grey 1 12:35 22 Jun 06

I am fed up with this Me anyway,
If I was to buy XP home and load it would all my current programmes, Money, Outlook Exprees etc copy over and run on XP.
As you will have worked out, I am not an expert, just a user.
Thanks for your replies.
Regards
Grey 1

rawprawn 13:02 22 Jun 06

All the programs will run on XP, but you would need to install them you can copy files but not programs. Back up your C: and then you can copy the files over

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…