Cannot run sfc/scannow Can I use another xp disk?

LAP 13:40 09 Dec 07

A friend's computer (win xp pro) keeps freezing and one thing he wants to do is run 'sfc /scannow' but it asks for the CD which he has lost.

Can he borrow a win xp pro disc just to get his computer up and running? Thank you.

LAP 13:44 09 Dec 07

├četa, THANKS. I will let him know and come back with how he gets on.

PO79 13:53 09 Dec 07

I always do this as it saves time and removes the need for the CD.

Step 1

You will need to get your XP CD and locate the folder called:

I386

This is a major folder and should be one of the first you see, now copy this onto your hard drive into the system root. For most of you that is going to be C:\ so you should end up with a folder that looks like: C:\I386

-----------------------------

Step 2

Now you will need to tell your computer you now have the files on your PC. We do this is the registry (type regedit in the Run box on the start menu) by navigating to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries here on the right hand side. The one we want is called:

SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD. All we need to do is change it to:

C:\

Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.

Now restart your computer.

LAP 14:31 10 Dec 07

├četa, he was not able to get hold of a copy.

PO79 So I copied the file '1386' from my disk and sent it to him. Via the phone he followed your suggestion, but received the following error 'File must be copied to the DLL Cache.'

I then redid the registry to locate the file straight from the disk altering the C:/ back to his D:/ drive and received the same error message.

Any ideas, in the meantime I'll keep serching.

He continually receives 'registry popups' which is driving him rouns the bed.

Thank you.

johndrew 14:41 10 Dec 07

If this is complied with I know it works click here

brundle 14:56 10 Dec 07

If an infection is modifying files it will just change them back after sfc is done. Tell your friend to scan with an anti-spyware scanner or two; click here

LAP 17:25 10 Dec 07

Thank you both very much. As you say johndrew if you comply with it it works.

I hope so I haven't heard anything from him just recently, so I take it he is now enjoying his computer. When He comes back to earth I'll get him to do a anti-spyware scan.

Thank you all once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017