Cannot run anything

joethebow 18:40 21 Oct 03

I have an old P2 running Win 95. The other day I had a virus which I repaired with AVG. One of the files affected was CRPB.EXE. Now no .EXE file will run. I get a gray box saying Cannot locate CRPB.EXE which is needed to run programmes of APPLICATION type.

This file does not appear on my other PC running Win95 nor on my PCs running 98 or ME.

In desperation I tried to reinstall windows only to be told that Scandisk had detected a compressed disk or disk cashing programme and I should disable them first. The drive is not compressed.

Any ideas?

BarryKeith 19:39 21 Oct 03

Unless you have some important info on the hard drive, it would be simplest just to format and reinstall so that you start fresh without any rubbihs laying around on the drive.

R4 19:59 21 Oct 03

boot with a boot floppy or win 95 emergency floppy. Then use fdisk to remove all partitions, logical drives etc.

Then recreate the active drive and any partions you want. REBOOT by floppy

then format the drive using 'format C:' REBOOT by floppy with CD support. and re install windows.

But you will lose any data you may have on your Hard disk.

joethebow 20:45 21 Oct 03

I was afraid of that. If no one has any better suggestions that's one option. Another I've been thinking about is install a spare HDD as a new master, and use the old drive as a slave so I can recover the data.

Problem is I don't have the drivers for video etc and I can't even open controll panel to find out what they are. However when I run up the new drive and it asks for the drivers I can probably point it to the old drive, that might work. In any case I've a couple of days work ahead of me. with no guarantee of success. A better solution might be a 14 pound sledge hammer.

iarno 22:19 21 Oct 03

I know how you feel,personaly I would do a clean boot as there may just be something left from virus. If you really need one I can supply a 14lb sledgehammer. All the best.

temp003 11:25 22 Oct 03

The virus must have rewritten certain entries in the registry, so that all .exe files are opened with the CRPB.exe file. Presumably AVG has removed the CRPB.exe file but not corrected the registry.

I can't find anything on the net about this CRPB, but try this.

You need to get into the registry to check certain entries, and if necessary, correct them.

To get into the registry, you need to run regedit.exe, but since you can't run any exe file, you need a workaround. I'm not familiar with the details of Windows 95, but this should be OK.

Click Start, Programs, MS-DOS prompt.

In the command prompt window, at the C:> prompt, type:

cd windows\system

and press Enter. Then when you get the C:\Windows\system> prompt, type:

copy regedit.exe regedit.com

and press Enter. Back at the C:\Windows\system> promp, type:

regedit.com

and press Enter. Hopefully this all works and the registry editor can open.

Then expand the plus signs on the left until you get to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ Classes\ Exefile\ Shell\ Open\Command

Click the word "Command" once to highlight it, and to the right, look at the entry under the Data column.

The value should be exactly:

"%1" %*

[Note the single space before the 2nd %]

If the entry under the data column is different from above (at the moment it might contain a reference to CRPB.exe), double click the name of this entry under the name column, and correct it. Click OK.

Then navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ Exefile\ Shell\ Open\Command and do the same thing.

Exit the registry editor. Try opening any .exe file or program. If necessary, restart.

Jester2K II 11:56 22 Oct 03

temp003 has hit the nail on the head here. The problem is the registry damage hasn't been fixed by AVG. The virus (CRPB.EXE) makes sure it is run every time another file is run by changing a registry setting. Now the virus file has gone the registry can't find it - hence the error.

Try downloading this little file (click here) and right click it and select INSTALL. It should repair any damage. Might require a restart.

Format and reinstall????...... Scrap your car and buy a new one when you get a puncture do you???

R4 19:33 22 Oct 03

No only cos the ashtray is full

joethebow 19:24 23 Oct 03

Thanks guys, I think you've got the answer. I'll try it first thing in the morning and let you know what happens.

joethebow 09:46 25 Oct 03

Jester2k, you're a genius. Your wonderfull little file did the trick. Just loaded it, right clicked and installed it. Rebooted the PC and everything ran. You saved me days of work.

Temp, thanks for all the info, it took a lot of time to type that all in and I appreciate it. If Jester hadn't come up with an automatic fix it would have saved the day.

Thank you all for your help. It is very much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…