cannot restore registry back-up

Groblok 11:48 08 Jan 07

I can not re-instate my registry using regedit file import to an earlier version because "some keys are open by the system or other processes".

How can I get round this?

rawprawn 11:53 08 Jan 07

Try in Safe Mode (keep tapping F8 when booting)

Groblok 12:50 08 Jan 07

Hi Rawprawn
That didnt work either. I cannot restore the registry nor will system restore work. i still get the same message as before

rawprawn 13:39 08 Jan 07

I think that you have a corrupted system file somewhere. Try a system file scan, go to Start/Run/type sfc /scannow (Watch the space between sfc and /) hit enter. You will need your XP CD This will not nessesarily solve your problem (Trying to go back)but it will ensure that all the system files are OK and it should repair your System restore (you may have to ditch all your previous restore points). Why are you trying to restore a registry backup and how old is it.

Groblok 14:45 08 Jan 07

I had an infection of NewDotNet7 on 31 Dec 06 and managed to get rid of it with some advice from others in this help room (See thread 'NewDotNet7')but its left me with a network problem.

It is now very slow and sometimes wont connect to the internet.

Registry back ups and system restore points made on or after the 1st Jan 07 work so NewdotNet7 must have left something behind preventing a restore

rawprawn 15:16 08 Jan 07

click here
Download and run this. It's a great free program as well.

Groblok 15:20 08 Jan 07

I have done that already along with Spybot, ccleaner and adaware. They all identified it said they got rid of it and I can find no reference to it but I still have the problem

rawprawn 15:37 08 Jan 07

The only other thing that I can think of to try is to turn System Restore Off, reboot then turn it back on and reboot again.If I understand you correctly System Restore is showing restore points before 1st Jan but they won't work. Your
NewdotNet7 may be still hiding in there

Groblok 15:54 08 Jan 07

Thanks Rawprawn, I'll try that.
I have run sfc /scannow which ran all the way through without requiring the disc and did not highlight any problems with the files.

Groblok 23:45 08 Jan 07

My internet connection problem is only on the wireless connection. I have no problem with a cable

rawprawn 08:25 09 Jan 07

Sorry, I can't help any more. I don't have a wireless connection, and I am now out of ideas. I hope that someone else can help, good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5