Cannot replace advapi32.dll (file is in use)

kpmatthews 23:52 12 May 09

hi, im trying to replace file advapi32.dll on vista32 but i get a message telling me the file is in use. i can see its used by alot of services as well as programs (even in safe mode) and i cant kill all the processes.

any suggestions? thanks, kris

tullie 02:29 13 May 09

Why do you want to replace it if its needed and working?

kpmatthews 09:19 13 May 09

hi, when trying to run bootvis i get an error pointing to the advapi32 file. i've heard this can be corrupted by malware and the like. i figured i should replace it and it appears to be a common problem for this file to become corrupted. i used unlocker to kill all processes and programs using the advapi32 file and i got the blue screen of death, not surprising given the amount of services that were using this file.

after spending a couple of hours first trying to sort out the permissions then trying to fix the file im almost resigned to doing a fresh install, it would have been quicker! i tried a repair with the vista dvd but no luck.

Graphicool1 11:39 13 May 09

Try it in 'Safe Mode'

robin_x 06:03 14 May 09

Try File Unlocker click here

ened 06:43 14 May 09

Apparently this file does not ship with Windows and:"...the technical security rating is 74% dangerous."

From click here

Are you sure you need it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…