Cannot repair with my XP CD

rip1 11:42 08 Nov 08

I have recently purchased from Microsoft a replacement XP Home CD with SP3 so that I can just do a repair on my computer.
The problem is, I am unable to find the repair option. When I click on Reinstall it only gives you two options. 'Update' or 'Reinstall'.
I have tried booting with the CD in the drive but it still comes up with the same menu. From what I understand I should have a screen with the option of the letter 'R' on it which you click on.
Can anyone point me in the right direction?

lotvic 11:53 08 Nov 08

These guides with screenshots may help click here

skidzy 14:55 08 Nov 08

Rip,this maybe the problem;
if you have Symantec GO Back installed, you will not get an option to repair install until you disable it.(you will get a warning that you will lose your restore points.) You will then get the option to repair install.

Do you have any Symantec products installed ? ie Norton etc...

Does Windows actually boot up ?
If so,why are trying a repair ?
We maybe able to help if the machine is booting ok.

rip1 15:19 08 Nov 08

I don't have Symantec. The computer boots up OK. The reason I thought a repair might be in order was because all of a sudden my web browsing has gone to pot. It is painfull just waiting for pages to load up and sometimes I just get a page not available. This has just started to happen over the last few days.

skidzy 15:25 08 Nov 08

Ok lets try a cleanup first;

lets rule out possible Malware first;

Download and update Mbam and SAS

Mbam click here
SAS click here

Then boot into safemode and run.

Once done run Ccleaner click here

Then follow the below instructions,you may wish to try this first if so wished;

Start / run and type

sfc /scannow

and enter

click here

skidzy 15:27 08 Nov 08

If possible,download the above programs from another computer and select SAVE and then burn them to disk or pendrive and install on the problem pc.

rip1 16:44 08 Nov 08

All ok now thanks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5