Cannot remove these files. Do you know how?

kendon287 17:12 24 Aug 04

Hi All,

I really hope someone can help me. I bought a laptop (got fed up of using Macs and not being able to buy software) on Friday, and today I tried install some software on it (Steinberg Clean - for recording vinyl into the computer and cleaning it). It started to install, then stopped for no reason. It said "not responding". Why would this happen? So we tried again. Now we have 2 lots of files that cannot be deleted, uninstalled or moved to recycle bin, and when you try to delete them the computer crashes and won't shut down. I have had to switch it off by the button a load of times now (does this hurt it btw?).

Also, do you know how to turn off Norman AV? We don't use the laptop for internet stuff so don't need it.

Any ideas?

iambeavis 18:26 24 Aug 04

Uninstall the AV.

R4 18:28 24 Aug 04

What O/S are you using ?

To stop Norton from loading go to msconfig and set to selective startup
click on the startup indicator and uncheck all the Norton option.

or delete these options from the registry :-
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run

BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST

rawprawn 18:30 24 Aug 04

Try this free it deletes on boot. wwwgibinsoft.net/gipoutils/

rawprawn 18:32 24 Aug 04

Sorry the link didn't work, type move on boot into google. Sorry I have to go.

Pidder 18:43 24 Aug 04

My version of Steinberg Clean has an uninstall option, at Start - Programs - Stein etc. Does this work?

johnsims 19:45 24 Aug 04

missed a bit:

Hit [return] after the del command is typed in.

Also includint should be including

kendon287 16:23 25 Aug 04

Hi Guys,

Thank you for all of your help. In the end, I restored the thing to its factory settings by reinstalling XP.

Then I tried putting Steinberg clean on this morning and it worked (YAY!!!).

Not really sure what the problem was, but should it happen again, I will probably take the same action, and scrap the whole thing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…