Cannot remove these files. Do you know how?

kendon287 17:12 24 Aug 04

Hi All,

I really hope someone can help me. I bought a laptop (got fed up of using Macs and not being able to buy software) on Friday, and today I tried install some software on it (Steinberg Clean - for recording vinyl into the computer and cleaning it). It started to install, then stopped for no reason. It said "not responding". Why would this happen? So we tried again. Now we have 2 lots of files that cannot be deleted, uninstalled or moved to recycle bin, and when you try to delete them the computer crashes and won't shut down. I have had to switch it off by the button a load of times now (does this hurt it btw?).

Also, do you know how to turn off Norman AV? We don't use the laptop for internet stuff so don't need it.

Any ideas?

ami 23:35 24 Aug 04

Hi Kendon
I assume that if it's a new laptop it will have winXP as the operating system.
It sounds as if the uninstaller part of your programme hasn't got itself installed. Use system restore to take your computer back to the point in time before you did the first install, that will 'get rid' of the two versions of the programme for you.
Second question, turning off the computer before shutting it down properly is not a good idea, ok sometimes it's a last resort but don't make a habit of it, it can lead to corrupt files in the OS.
Steinburg Clean - have you checked it's compatability with the specs of your laptop?
Disable Norton in Device Manager to stop it running automatically, although you've needed the Internet for this problem! Sure you won't need it again????

woodchip 23:41 24 Aug 04

So did you clean the drive and install a windows OS

ami 23:51 24 Aug 04

you might also find this site of use click here

woodchip 23:54 24 Aug 04

Start in Safe Mode start computer and keep pressing F8 as it boots then try deleting files in safe mode

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…