Cannot remove programmes

Hetti 17:06 17 Apr 05

When I try to uninstall from control panel add/remove programmes I get a small blue window saying "Application remant remover is gathering all the files to remove progamme please wait"
I wait for up to two hours and nothing happens. the last attempt was carried out by my son and he said there was a blue screen with an error message, but he closed the PC down before I made a note of the message.The way things are Im unable to uninstall any unwanted programmes!
I run WIN ME, I think the small blue win that appears saying "Application gathering info ect ect" is a left over item from a free version I had of MCaffee software if that is of any help

Technotiger 17:11 17 Apr 05

Hi, if I remember correctly you do have a Search facility in ME - do a Search (including Hidden files and folders) for anything with MCaffee in it, then highlight and delete anything found. Then try a re-boot and see if things are any better re add/remove.

Cheers.

Technotiger 17:15 17 Apr 05

If you can do the above - then download and run Regclean, this will clean-up your registry safely.

Regclean
2005 Highly-Rated Registry Cleaner Fix your Computer - Free Download!
click here

Cheers.

Technotiger 17:18 17 Apr 05

Good luck - I will have a look here later on - I have been invited out to dinner this evening, so I must now go and powder-my-nose. :-))

Hetti 21:09 17 Apr 05

Hi Technotiger

Hope you enjoyed Dinner......

I downloaded Reg cleaner expert, had to clean two at a time as you had to pay otherwise.
Cleaned all but I still get the small blue window (gathering info needed to remove ect) and nothing happens after that.

I did a search and deleted (just to the recycle bin as I cannot uninstall) what was related to Mcaffee first, but Im still unable to uninstall.

Any ideas?

Hetti 21:12 17 Apr 05

Technotiger
Forgot to say I do not know how to search Hide file and folders, so it was just the normal search
I will look back here tomorrow
THANKS

Hetti 21:13 17 Apr 05

Opps that should be HIDDEN files

Technotiger 18:48 18 Apr 05

Hi Hetti, me again - yes did enjoy dinner, thanks.

In Search, click on Files and Folders, then on Advanced Options, among others, you should be able to tick a box marked Search hidden files and folders.

This is how it is in XP, not 100% sure if it is the same in WinME.

But I expect others will give their tips too - come on Guys, help a lady out. :-))

Hetti 18:03 19 Apr 05

Technotiger

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I did another search after checking the Advanced options but I got "No results to display" so Im stuck there are a few programmes I need to unistall but I shall have to wait to see if anyone can come up with an answer!!

Once again Thanks

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:13 19 Apr 05

Download Ccleaner from click here. This will get rid of all the rubbish that accumulates on a computer. There is also a facility in the tools section to delete programme entries from Add/Remove.

Then download Regseeker from click here, run it and delete all the registry entires that it finds (it will save them as a file just in case but after using this programme hundreds of times on many computers I have never needed it. After using these two you should be free of junk or you could await until the forum Bloodhound P;3 rallies more help ;-)))))

G

Hetti 19:23 19 Apr 05

Technotiger and Gandalf

I found the culprit it was called Plguni.exe Ican now unisall proggammes Hurrah!!!
I will do as you suggest Gandalf,it may speed my PC up ...........

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…