cannot remove programme

Roo247 10:47 06 Sep 06

Hi people, i am having a problem removing a programme. Its Motorola Mobile Phone Tools. When i go to uninstall it, there is an error that comes up saying: InstallShield (R) Setup Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
I dont use this anymore so would like to get it off the system.
Any ideas??

MichelleC 12:24 06 Sep 06

This happens if a file's gone awol. You can delete the files manually by typing in Search Motorola. If they won't delete do itin safemode.

Roo247 12:37 06 Sep 06

Hi MichelleC, thanks for the advice. I have never done anything in safe mode before, could you give me some idea of what to do please?

johndrew 14:47 06 Sep 06

The other option would be to reinstall/repair the software and then uninstall in the normal way.

terryf 15:05 06 Sep 06

Re-boot your system and repeatedly press F8 when you are re-booting, eventually you will come uo with a screen that asks what you want to do, use the arrow keys to move up to safe mode and then next screen windows. Go and get your knitting and wait, eventually you will be allowed to log on (as Administrator), you will get into safe mode but the desktop will be different. Don't worry, go to start> my computer or start>windows Explorer and navigate to C:/program files. find the folder for the prog that you want to delete and click on it and press delete, then go to start>turn off computer>restart

Roo247 15:09 06 Sep 06

thanks people, ok, here goes............I'll be back!!

Roo247 15:23 06 Sep 06

Hi people, back again............and good news!
terryf: was halfway sewing some elastic on the mittens i had knitted whilst waiting to log on as administrator, and it fired up, clicked, deleted and sorted........i think! if i go to add/remove programmes , it still brings mobile phone tools up in the list, but nothing next to it, as in size etc. is it still there?

nob14 15:35 06 Sep 06

Remove Invalid Listings from Add/Remove Programs
There are a number of reasons why an application may remain in the Add/Remove Programs list long after the application is gone from your computer. One of the most common reasons is using the uninstaller from the listing on the All Programs section of Start Menu, but whatever the reason it remains there are ways to remove the invalid listing.

Method I: This method avoids editing the registry and should be tried first.

The easiest way is to open Add/Remove Programs and select the listing for the program you know has already been deleted. Select the application and click the Remove button. Since there is no application to 'remove', the process will time out and you'll be presented with an option to remove the entry.

Method II: This method involves editing the registry. Make sure to have a verified registry backup before editing the registry. Help with backing up the registry is available here.

Select Start > Run

In the Open: line type regedit and press Enter.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

The Add/Remove Programs list is built from the keys listed beneath the Uninstall folder.

Locate the key for the program that has been uninstalled, right click the key and click Delete.

Clicking the keys in the left pane and looking at the information provided in the right pane can help in identifying the associated programs. Err on the side of caution in this operation. Once the key has been deleted it's impossible to use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall if you make an incorrect selection.

tony58 18:42 06 Sep 06

flag

Roo247 19:42 06 Sep 06

flag??

terryf 02:00 07 Sep 06

flag is a means of trying to find out if you fixed it and how, we like to know if a suggested fix was successful so that we can tuck it away for when it happens to us

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…