Cannot Remove NewsGroup Files

Chris Clayton 18:22 02 Jun 07

A lot of unwanted offensive NewsGroup Files to which I did not subscribe have appeared on my computer after using OE. I deleted / erased them but the offensive titles / headers are still found using Windows Desktop Search, but not by any other means I have repeatedly tried (Windows Search, Run). I cannot open or delete them using WDS or any other means. I have identified the source on my computer as a Folder in Documents and Settings Temp MSLN but I cannot actally find or delete this Folder. My searching has included 'hidden files and folders'. I have tried using Registry Cleaners, etc. How can I pin down and remove this Folder please?

WXP2 Home

howard64 12:51 03 Jun 07

have you looked for it in start - run - msconfig - startup [top right] see if you can recognise the prog in the list - if so take the tick out of the left hand box and then you should be able to uninstall it if you can find it.

Chris Clayton 19:00 03 Jun 07

Hello Howard

Sorry, I dont understand your reply. The 'program' is Outlook Express, the mail server of which has created a Folder .... Temp MSLN ... which contains the remains of unwanted offensive files. I cannot find this Folder, whose contents are listed by Windows Desktop Search but nowhere else, in order to delete the Folder /Files. I have looked at RegEdit but cannot see anything relevant. How can RegEdit help?

brundle 19:06 03 Jun 07

Unless you require WDS to index Outlook Express, go into the options, uncheck OE, click Advanced, Rebuild Index. You could add OE again once the index has been rebuilt, if the newsgroups are added again the index files OE built are still on the system. However they won't be in the folder location you mention.

Chris Clayton 09:38 04 Jun 07

Thanks. I will try this

CC

Chris Clayton 09:02 13 Jun 07

YES! Of about half a dozen Forums tried only your answer solved the problem. If I understand it what was happening is WDS was not searching / finding files on my computer but only its own index memory. Clicking on Rebuild Index cleans out the old index and starts afresh. The unwanted files headings seem now to be gone. Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac