Cannot reinstall Brother printer

Phil_J 19:35 22 Mar 07

I have a Dell Dimension 9150 desktop computer, and I did have a Canon MPC200 printer attached to it until the printer died. I then bought a Brother MFC-215C printer/scanner/fax. It installed OK the first time but I noticed the computer had slowed, particularly opening things like Word documents.
I searched Brother's website for an updated driver, but couldn't find one at first. I did find updated firmware which I installed - everything still OK. A few days later I found an updated driver for the printer on the Brother website and downloaded it. This was a driver specifically for the MFC-215C. When it was coming to the end of its installation routine I received an error which told me that I had chosen the wrong model at the beginning of the installation. This can't be true because the driver is model specific. Now the original driver on the installation CD gives me the same error. I have since installed the printer on two other machines - one running the same operating system (XP pro), and one running W98 - with no problems!
This printer just will not install on my system no matter what I try.
Any suggestions would be graetly appreciated.

Phil J.

ArrGee 19:54 22 Mar 07

Have you tried running RegScrub or CCleaner? There are probably registry problems between the old driver and the new. Use these applications with care to remove any registry component affiliated to the printer, as well as using the device manager to remove the printer.

After you have removed the components and drivers, re-install the original driver.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac