Cannot read Tiff files on old VCD

stugra 11:35 16 Dec 07

Around 2002 & 2003 I created a few VCD discs to display my photos on my DVD player.

At the time of creating them, I checked a box which ensured the photos would also be copied to the disc in a separate folder, thereby giving me access to them in the future.

The problem is I cannot access the TIFF files that are on these VCD's using Vista or XP. The cd-rom drive just clicks away for ages but fails to read.

Any help is much appreciated.

howard64 12:03 16 Dec 07

can you using explorer copy the files on the disk to your hard drive. If so you may be able to open them.

stugra 12:36 16 Dec 07

The problem is I cannot access the TIFF files that are on these VCD's using Vista or XP. The cd-rom drive just clicks away for ages but fails to read.

howard64 13:28 18 Dec 07

I take it other cds and dvds are being read by this drive and it is just this one with the probs. If so try this one in another drive ie a different pc. If no other one available you could try using the command prompt to copy the files if you have knowledge of how to use dos commands. There are plenty here that could advise how to do it if you need help.

Diemmess 13:36 18 Dec 07

[The cd-rom drive just clicks away for ages but fails to read.]

It is possible that the original recording has become corrupt. If trying it in several different computers does not work, then you may have to write off those pictures as lost.

howard64 17:59 18 Dec 07

a further thought - I had a problem a couple of months back with a drive that reported not formatted. I downloaded a prog called easy data recovery - you get the demo version which allows you to use the prog to see if it can see info on the drive - If it can you can purchase the copy to recover the data - if you can see the files then you can probably recover them - I am not suggesting you purchase the prog by the way - just looking to see if they are still there. Did you write this disk on a different pc? often 1 drive formatts differently to another and a different drive again may work quite well with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5