Cannot read DVD

Sea Urchin 16:24 05 Dec 08

I have a data disk (DVD) which I originally created using Nero on an old Win98SE PC. When I tried to read it on an XP system a prompt advised that it might not read correctly, but when I pressed OK I was able to read the disk with no problem.

Now six months later when I try to read the same disk (on the same PC) it comes up with a prompt saying it needs to update Microsoft Office 2000 - when I OK that it starts and then comes up with this error

[IMG]click here[/IMG]
By [URL=click here]seaurchin[/URL] at 2008-12-05

Is there any other way that I can try to read this disk rather than using the built-in XP software?

woodchip 16:36 05 Dec 08

The DVD may have degraded, like a Photo degrades when Exposed to light. If you have NERO try copying the DVD

woodchip 16:38 05 Dec 08

Can you see the files okay on the disc in Windows Explore? Press Win Key plus E Key

Sea Urchin 16:48 05 Dec 08

.....why didn't I think of that?

Yes, I can see them and also open them - they seem to have become ReadOnly but that's not a problem as I only need to print out some files.

Thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:49 05 Dec 08
  Sea Urchin 16:51 05 Dec 08

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ for that link - I have bookmarked it for possible future problems :@)

Sea Urchin 17:02 05 Dec 08

by copying the files from Windows Explorer to the Desktop where they now behave normally

Thanks again

woodchip 18:05 05 Dec 08

When you burn any files to CD or DVD it automatically makes them read Only, But you can save them to Disc and change them back by right click then properties

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…