Cannot read drive - invalid function

AG42 19:29 09 Aug 06

With Windows XP, SP1, I am getting an error stating that the file cannot be read, plus "Invalid Function.
This happens with a CD which is read properly on a different PC, but not on either CD or DVD drive on this PC, nor using an external DVD drive. In all cases, the CD is not being recognised - it is seen as a RAW CD.

I tried to copy the CD to my USB stick, and got exactly the same error.

Any ideas as to what is happening here? Any solutions?

Many thanks

vinnyT 12:15 10 Aug 06

I don't know what's happening, but, can you copy the files from the cd to usb stick on the pc that does recognise the data on the cd?

Was the data written to the cd on the same pc that can't read it?

Sometimes, cd/dvd drive don't always recognise data written on another machine (rare, but happens). Or, a particular brand of cd/dvd disk may be incompatible with one drive, but not another (a firmware update can sometimes fix this, but only try this if you are confidant, as a wrong update may damage the drive).

Hope this helps.

AG42 13:55 10 Aug 06

Thanks for the thoughts.
The CD concerned is one supplied by a manufacturer (drivers for a wifi usb adapter). I copied the contents of this CD to my USB stick (on a different pc), but the PC with the problem still did not see any data.
I suspect a Windows error, and will try a "repair".

Alan

vinnyT 14:48 10 Aug 06

Welcome, sorry could'nt be more help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…