Cannot re-format usb hard disk

as400man 17:23 18 Dec 04

I want to re-format my usb external hard drive.
This is currently in 2 partitions. Taking the 'FORMAT' option on either partition does nothing, no dialogue box, nothing happens. Ideally I would like to remove both partitions and re-format the whole disk. How can I re-format and can I start from scratch with this disk with no partitions?

Your help is always appreciated. Thanks.

alan227 18:02 18 Dec 04

What operating system ( xp, me or 98se ).

as400man 18:04 18 Dec 04

XP Pro.

alan227 18:08 18 Dec 04

If it is XP.
click start / right click My Computer / left click Manage / left click Disk Management / right click your USB drive from the list and you will be able to format or delete partitions from the drop down box.

as400man 18:17 18 Dec 04

My usb drive does not appear, just my C: drive.
However the usb drive does show when I look using Device Manager.

alan227 18:27 18 Dec 04

If you have device manager open have you checked the usb controllers for any faults?.

as400man 18:40 18 Dec 04

I re-booted a couple of times and saw the drive suddenly appear under Disk Management and followed your instructions. I now have one drive partition the full size of the disk coming up as healthy. Have a good week-end and thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…