Cannot put Win XP on slave HDD

lacker 00:03 24 Sep 03

Evening All,
I have a 40gb HDD which is set up as slave and is recognised as such by my BIOS,I can boot it,by using Boot magic but when I try to install Win XP pro on it,the set up tells me I can't do it unless I get special software.I suppose I could disconnect the master drive and swap the jumper on the slave to make it the Master,put on XP, and then reverse the procedure.This seems very long winded and there will probably be some reason why it won't work,so is there any 'quickfix' that anybody knows of,which will enable me to do it without going into the guts of the computer.
Any advice would be much appreciated

Mougabi 00:28 24 Sep 03

Whats on your master drive at the mo.

lacker 00:32 24 Sep 03

XP Home on both partitions

Mougabi 00:39 24 Sep 03

XP home on both......mmmmmm y....+ don't think u can change drive jumpers as c: will b set as active drive and slave wont

y u going 2 xp pro......if u dont mind me askin

lacker 01:00 24 Sep 03

Hi Mate,
Using Pro? A: because I have it and B: cause I don't want to push my luck activating my XP Home too many times.Touchy people that Microsoft lot.
As regards your comments would that apply if the master was disconnected and slave jumped to master? I also can set my active drive with PM8 and Boot Magic.
Appreciate your comments,just hope you are not as nutty as your namesake!
Regards Tony

Mougabi 01:30 24 Sep 03

yea it does apply as far as i know as the drive will now b booted up as drive c: and not active with a legal boot sector for booting....might b wrong.........

PS u dont have 2 keep activating xp home if u use media player 2 backup your license......on Tools - License Managment - Backup.

lacker 01:40 24 Sep 03

Now I'm curious! What do you have against Pro (XP that is) are you telling me i will have less problems if I try to put Home on the second HDD?
Like your comments on activation will definitely give that a try,you learn something every day.
Thanks for your input,I am off to bed now but will come back to this tomorrow.
Cheers Tony

lacker 11:18 24 Sep 03

pj123 11:28 24 Sep 03

Download xxcopy from click here this will enable you to do a complete copy of your C:(master) to D:(your 40gb slave). When complete just delete anything you don't want on your slave.

lacker 12:57 24 Sep 03

You are absolutely brilliant mate,I am off to try it now, will let you know how I get on.
Many Thanks Tony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…