Cannot print from wireless laptop

bazza11 19:51 03 Jun 09

I have an HP Photosmart 2575 all-in-one connected by ethernet cable to my Netgear wireless router. My desktop is also connected by ethernet cable to my router. I can print ok from my desktop but when my laptop (running XP Professional) is connected it won't print wirelessly - only if I connect it directly to the printer with a usb cable. When I try I get the message "The print spooler was unable to connect to your printer. This can be caused by your printer being turned off, the cable being unplugged, or being connected to a VPN, which will block access to your local network. Your document will print when the printer becomes available". Can you please help? Thanks.

mgmcc 20:07 03 Jun 09

Go into "Control Panel > Printers", right click the printer's icon and select Properties, then the Ports tab.

It sounds as though it is set up on a USB port instead of the port for your LAN connection, so this setting may have to be changed.

bazza11 19:26 04 Jun 09

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and sofware programs, and still get the same message. The port highlighted is "Phot...HP Standard TCP/I... HP Photosmart 2570 series" Something is stopping it!!

mgmcc 20:10 04 Jun 09

>>> Something is stopping it!!

Firewall software?

bazza11 21:57 04 Jun 09

I disabled Kaspersky - made no difference looks like I need to heave it out the window!!!

Picklefactory 08:23 05 Jun 09

Had similar problem not long ago, check out the link in my post of Thurs 17/5/09 17:55 in the thread below. Is your desktop running Vista? I had XP desktop with Vista laptop, so slightly different to you.
Hope it helps.

click here

bazza11 17:02 05 Jun 09

Tried it all but to no avail. The printer only works if I hook it up to my laptop with a USB cable. When I input my computer name and printer name it cannot find the pathway even though I type them exactly as suggested. Don't know if it makes a difference my desktop being Vista and my laptop XP Professional. Thanks very much for your help anyway.

Kevscar1 17:49 05 Jun 09

Why is your printer connected to the router. Mine is connected to my computer.
Went to control panel printers right click properties, sharing and ticked share this printer.

Wife can then print wirelessly from her laptop.

bazza11 19:22 05 Jun 09

My printer is connected to my router as there is only one network socket on my desktop and I am using this to cable directly to my router. My desktop does not have a wireless card as the one supplied by Dell was useless and they recommended I remove it and use an ethernet cable instead. My wike's laptop, running Vista, prints ok, just a problem with mine on XP Professional.

Woolwell 19:31 05 Jun 09

Kevscar your solution means that your PC has to be on to permit printing. Connecting to the router allows printing for anyone on the network without having the main PC on. I have a printer connected to a router and access it from 3 systems.
Back to aristo's problem - One of the problem that I had was that the router was allocating a different IP address to the printer when it was switched on and the laptop couldn't find it. I set the printer to have fixed IP address. Suggest that you check what IP address your machine is searching for. Can you ping the printer from the laptop?

Woolwell 19:32 05 Jun 09

Should make no difference with Desktop being Vista and laptopn being XP. I have a Vista desktop, a Vista laptop and a XP laptop all using the same printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…