Cannot print from IE 6.0 and OE

Sapins 10:49 13 Oct 06

On a visit to the UK this week my Brother-in-law explained the difficulty he is having printing out e-mails and web pages. He is running XP Home, SP2 on a Time AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1.54Ghz with 256 of RAM and has an Epson CX42. It is not possible to print from OE or IE, the "egg timer" flashes very quickly as if it is going to print then nothing happens. You cannot print from the printer icon in a document or "File"/print or by right clicking and selecting print.

I re-installed the printer with the latest driver, then I telephoned Epson support who asked could it print from Notepad or Wordpad, it would not print if I copied and pasted something, but, it would if I typed text in. It printed the test page OK. They said the printer was ok and the problem was with IE & OE. I have searched Microsoft support without success.

The following may or may not be connected;

He only has a "recovery" CD. Sometime ago a local "expert" had a look at some other problems and said you have to press a certain key to get it to print, B-in-L cannot remember which key. It was at this point that I emptied the salt celler.

There is no Help and Support, search or run available. System Restore is said to be running on the only hard drive, "C", but you cannot access it.

If it was my system I would restore it to it's original state and start again, but, he is not that proficient and wants to avoid that route. Is there any straight forward way of resolving these problems for him?

ventanas 10:57 13 Oct 06
  brundle 10:57 13 Oct 06

tell him to boot into safe mode (hit f8 at start up) and remove the printer and all its drivers/software there

reboot normally

download ccleaner click here and use the `issues` button to clean the registry (save a backup) aswell as the usual clean-up (temp files etc)

start menu/run, type `services.msc` without quotes, press return - ask him if the `print spooler` service is running and set to automatic, set it to auto if not

re-install printer

€dstowe 11:03 13 Oct 06

What happens if you press Ctrl + p?

I almost always print from this key combination.

Sapins 11:18 13 Oct 06

Hi all, usual quick replies, thanks. I'm still a bit frazzled after driving over 3000 kilometers this week, sadly we had a death in my wife's family, so I hope you will bear with me if I don't keep up.

ventanas, I'll have a look at your links.

brundle, that might help.

€dstowe, cannot say as I did not know about that short cut.

I have tried to persuade him to let me use XP's facility to control his computer but he refuses. If I could get System Restore working and get him to set a restore point he might let me have a go.

How can I put this? He is not well up with computers and is not confident trying to fix problems, I may have to tell him to take it to a local computer shop run by 2 young lads who seem to know what they are doing!

Sapins 11:45 13 Oct 06

Just read through your last link and it definitely rings a bell, I'm sure B-in-L mentioned Adaware and removing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…