Cannot play DVD

fontenay 21:33 24 Jan 08

Sony Vaio laptop used to play DVDs (of films) with no problem. However, a week or so ago it stopped. There is no problem playing CDs or data DVD.

Having tried everything I could I used the System recovery disk - with all the attendent hours of downloading Sony and Windows updates etc. Still the DVD would not play and told no DVD player available. I bought and downloaded Roxio Sonic Cineplayer DVD decoder (this works fine on the desktop). Still it won't play. Have tried the Sony site for updated drivers but to no avail.

Can anyone help?

skidzy 21:58 24 Jan 08

Try running a cd/dvd lens cleaner

and:

I dont think this will apply to you but will do no harm.

follow these directions for clearing the Upper/Lower Filters: (might want to print this out)

1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer

.If in any doubt editing the registry,please create a System Restore point first and also backup your registry....The guidedhelp from Microsoft on backing up the registry is a good lesson for anyone to learn.click here

Creating a System Restore point:

Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore…follow the prompts.

skidzy 21:59 24 Jan 08

Sorry MS link for backing up the registry click here

fontenay 22:05 24 Jan 08

Thank you skidzy- I will try that

fontenay 07:18 26 Jan 08

skidzy

Thank you - the cleaning worked! I so rarely use the DVD player for films that this had not occurred to me. I should have looked for the simplest explanation first!
Anyway - many thanks.

skidzy 08:49 26 Jan 08

Your welcome and thankyou for the kind feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac