cannot play AVI files

joelmb 11:27 12 Apr 05

Hi all. I'm having trouble playing AVI files recorded on my Canon digital camera. I'm running win xp pro sp2. They have always worked in the past but now don't. In winamp i get a black screen and i can hear the audio. media player 9 just says i ned to reinstall either or both my graphic and sound card drivers. I've done this but no joy. I also downloaded and installed divx but again didn't help. Any ideas??

joelmb 12:11 12 Apr 05

i've just tried older avi's on my hd and they work, so don't think it's a codec problem but some problem with my camera created avi's. Its a canon S1 digital camera. any thoughts??

joelmb 12:26 12 Apr 05

I've found out that the camera creates mjpeg file format avi's which according to microsoft require directx9 which has a mjpeg player. however it still doesnt work. :( Any further clues??

Yoda Knight 12:28 12 Apr 05

you could try media player 10

Jak_1 15:36 12 Apr 05

Also try RealPlayer.

click here

oseven 19:52 12 Apr 05

You presumably downloaded to your computer using a video editing programme.Why dont you play back through that?

joelmb 20:03 12 Apr 05

I recorded it on my Canon S1 digital camera which transfers to pc via usb and windows drag and drop, it isn't captured. Anyway, I wouldn't really want to open Premiere / Vegas everytime just to watch video clips i've created.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…