Cannot open/save or do anything with email attachments

Diemmess 20:04 26 Nov 13
Answered

Quite suddenly IE and Chrome still bring attachments, but do not allow me to save or even view what is attached.

The restriction applies now to past emails as well. There was no difficulty in viewing them at the time, but they too are unresponsive now, and I particularly want a couple of attached documents for tomorrow morning.

Have carried out an extra malware check and CCleaner also. Neither showed any trace of underlying problems

lotvic 21:56 26 Nov 13

"IE and Chrome still bring attachments" That's a bit vague.. which webmail or email program is it?

It might be the setting: Tools > Options, select the Security tab and uncheck 'Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened'

Diemmess 09:39 27 Nov 13

lotvic

Sorry to be vague. Ever since Using BT instead of AOL I have been unsure of what I am actually using. Google Chrome says the icon, and BT comes in somewhere. I needed those files and used Acronis to save the day, but I would still like to know where Tools and similar devices might lurk on the email inbox window?

Diemmess 11:03 28 Nov 13

More upset since yesterday. The snag has returned and again I cannot do anything with attachments to incoming mail

The software is a Google Chrome Icon leading to BT Yahoo Mail. Firewall is Comodo and Micro Soft Security for XP takes care of the mail and antiviral screening.

Malwarebytes and CCleaner have been run regularly in the past and of course currently without finding anything. I think it was after restoring an Acronis image back to normal that Active X and Java then both installed their latest.

I think it must have something to do with Active X and Java but what can I do to source this bother? Or can you name a possible way of finding out what is wrong?

lotvic 14:08 28 Nov 13

What is the part of your email address after the @ ?

30-May-2013. BT announced that they will cease as a partner with Yahoo! This affects all services and any associations with Yahoo! including email, portal and other items. BT's portal and email services. The story so far click here

Have I understood correctly? Your ISP is BT. You are using Webmail and can't save/open email attachments.

Diemmess 15:28 28 Nov 13

lotvic

Confirming your suggestions. My ISP is btinternet.com My email is (I think) BT Yahoo, but where the icon of Google Chrome fits in (possibly only to open IE7. I'm not at all sure having moved from AOL six or seven years ago and just let things happen if they made sense at the time.

It would seem BT Yahoo are to upgrade soon but where I can enter that scheme, or even should? Any alternatives other members think would be better, I'd like to know and why?

Woolwell 16:48 28 Nov 13

Bt Community. It would seem that the solution is to reboot your router! Seems odd to me but it has worked for those on my link.

BTW Chrome doesn't open IE. They are 2 different browsers.

que pasó 15:41 02 Dec 13

have you been using a bookmark to access bt mail?

BT have changed the web address from click here to click here original link which did work fine still gets into btmail but does not allow attachments to open. good of them to tell us!

so either go via click here or go to click here and log in from there and when in mail save a new bookmark to replace the old one.

the

Diemmess 16:45 04 Dec 13
Answer

que pasó

I'm now as sure as I can be that your solution is the right one. It fits all the other pieces and offers a way which is logical and likely to work every time. I have an alternative way not so certain or elegant but works quickly for me, most of the time!

Thanks for your logic. You have explained far more clearly than BT, what they are doing, and from what I have seen of its appearance I am so far unimpressed. Of course my father used to say "Fools and Bairns [me] shouldn't see things half-done."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5