Cannot open Volume for direct Access

Howard's Way 14:58 22 Jan 06

My computer hanged when starting up. So I had ro reboot by pressing the power button. Now when it starts if gives the following error message.

The Type of system is NFTS
Cannot open volume for direct access.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

I have Windows XP home addition with service pack 2, I have read the article about this both on this site and at Microsoft knowledge base.

So my computer is running chkdsk at start up. So how do you turn it off.

Also I have tried to restore to earlier restore point but it won't let me restore the system.

Any ideas?

Klof Ron 15:05 22 Jan 06

I would suggest booting from the XP CD ROM and loading the recovery console, and from there run chkdsk /f from the command prompt and allow the programme to run. This should fix any errors on the drive.

VoG II 15:06 22 Jan 06
  AndySD 15:12 22 Jan 06

Start then All Programs then Accessories then Command Prompt. It will look like click here

Copy and paste this into the command promp box

CHKNTFS /X C:

Hit Enter

Now turn off the PC and then restart it with the power button, (do not do a restart)it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly in to Windows.

Start then All Programs then Accessories then Command Prompt as before

Copy and paste this into the command promp box

CHKDSK /f /r C:

Hit Enter

When its run you should be ok.

Halmer 15:19 22 Jan 06

got an older version of Zone Alarm by any chance?

Howard's Way 22:09 22 Jan 06

Good news. The error message has stopped coming up on start up.

But when I tried to run the chksdk /f command it says the drive is already in use by another program. And about running chkdsk on next start up, to which I said no.

I do have Zone Alarm security suite but it the very latest version and has been running fine since May last year.

Not been able to get the recovery console to run yet. Booted from my windows CD but it did not give me the option of the recovery console.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…