Cannot open program

Southernboy 15:39 08 Dec 03

A couple of weeks ago, upon startup, a message was displayed to the effect that there was a problem with a registry file and that Windows had successfully replaced it with an alternative version. Running CHKDSK revealed that a corrupt attribute file had been deleted and replaced. All this was above my head, especially as I have never accessed the registry, nor done anything untoward. However, I assumed that any problem had been solved by Windows, so I thought no more about it.

However, one of my programs - Concise Oxford dictionary would not open as normal. It hangs for some time and then displays:-

"COD001OU caused a general production fault in module TWABTE.TBM at 0015.326D. Choose close. COD001OU will close."

I have tried to uninstall this program, but the Uninstall option falls to work. It does not even appear in ADD/REMOVE programs. If I try to reinstall, the same query is displayed. When I open the RUN option, displayed is "misc.services" which means nothing to me.

I cannot see anyway forward. I can't open, remove or reinstall the program. Does anyone have any ideas?

Djohn 15:48 08 Dec 03

It may be that the program is in use automatically when you boot windows. Try booting in safe mode and removing from there. j.

Southernboy 15:06 09 Dec 03

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated.

COD has to be opened from the All Programs list if required. That is the way it has always worked on this PC, and the older version on my old W98SE PC.

However, can you advise how I boot in safe Mode and when I do so, is the Uninstall process the same?

Still doesn't explain why I can reinstall over the existing installation which has always been the way to check there are no missing files etc.

Southernboy 15:07 09 Dec 03

Meant can't reinstall, not can!

Southernboy 12:47 12 Dec 03

Problem still exists. Same error Message.

Djohn 19:21 12 Dec 03

Hi Southernboy, sorry for the delay, I've been sleeping most of the day! :o(

Can't think of what else to suggest at the moment, but will try to find the answer. Meanwhile this will bring you back to the top and others may have the answer for you.

Regards. j.

Southernboy 22:37 13 Dec 03

would System Restore be an option?

If I did this, it would have to go back about a month. Would this affect my Internet records or would they be OK as possibly on the ISP server?

woodchip 22:43 13 Dec 03

Copy the CD to desktop, restart in safe mode and run the setup file in the program in safe mode

Southernboy 22:47 13 Dec 03

copy to Desktop, please?

woodchip 22:51 13 Dec 03

double click on My Computer right click the CD drive with the disc that you want to copy drag to desktop and choose copy

Southernboy 22:15 15 Dec 03

copy and paste?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…